Methodist
 Church
History  

     
Home
News
Lettings
Contact
Links
History

A Brief History of Rivercourt Church:
(adapted from the Centenary Notes, 1875 - 1975)

There has been a Methodist presence in Hammersmith since 1798. A Methodist convert of John Wesley - a Mr Jacob Blake, a market gardener of Brentford, with his wife Mary - opened their house in Goldhawk Road for meetings.

In 1809 a small chapel was built in what is now called Macbeth Street, off King Street. This small chapel was considerably enlarged in 1856.

However, with the dramatic increase in the population of Hammersmith, following the spread of housing over the market gardens of West London, there was an appeal for funds for a new church. That appeal was amply met; and in 1874 building work began on a new church on the corner of Rivercourt Road and King Street.

The church was to be in the Gothic style, and had an impressive spire of 125 feet. It had two fine stained glass windows and a three manual pipe organ. The new church had seating in both the body of the building and in the gallery, for over 1000 people. The opening service was held on October 1st 1875. Its imposing presence on a prime local site reflected Methodism’s confident place in the community.

In 1905, land next to the church was acquired, and in 1938 Rivercourt Church House was built. This had office facilities, shops on King Street, and a hostel for young Methodist men. Also during this period of the 1930's, the inside of the church was partially remodelled. In the early 1970's the basement was converted to provide more comfortable accommodation for church meetings.

In 1997 the church undertook to radicaly redevelop the building resulting in a flexible and welcoming property for worship and community use. Along with the creation of new rooms for meetings, the pews were removed from the sanctuary area to allow for increased seating flexibility.
The basement was remodelled  and is now let out to a French nursery (Le Herisson).




Centenary



1997 redevelopment

   
 


The Tower Clock pictures


   
     

 

Home News Lettings Contact Links History